Friday, February 12, 2010

Poor, Bald Miranda!

Miranda has a terrible habit of twisting, chewing & pulling out her hair.  She started doing it a couple of years ago and by the time I noticed she was doing it, she had pulled out about half of the hair on the left side of her head.  So, we cut it short and pulled it into rubberbands for several weeks until she got out of the habit.  Since then, she has wanted desperately to grow out her hair so that it could be as long as Bethany's.  It was all going fine until a few weeks ago when I noticed her chewing on her hair again.  I reminded her that if she started to pull it out, we would have to cut it.  She assured me that she was only chewing - not pulling.  Well, yesterday when I was fixing her hair for school, I noticed that she had a big bald spot at the crown of her head.  When I asked her about it, she broke into tears and admitted that she had pulled out the hair and told me that she knew I hated her.  Poor thing!  I assured her that I did not hate her but that we'd have to fix the problem before her hair started to look really bad.  So, this is how Miranda spent her school lunch yesterday.
Luckily, Miranda loves Mop Tops, so it wasn't quite as traumatic as it could have been.  They feed her lollipops, let her pick out the color of the rubberbands for her net hairdo and entertain her with "The Chipmunk Movie".  But it any of you have any advice on breaking this habit, please let me know.  Otherwise she may have short hair for the forseeable future.  (Although truthfully, I think a chin length bob looks darn cute on her, so that part wouldn't bother me at all.)

4 comments:

Rebecca Hurst said...

I used to do exactly what Miranda does. I stopped when I became bald in the 7th grade. I think keeping her hair fixed in pony tails is a good idea. Mabe she needs something to do with her hands while she is thinking. I will give it some thought.

Jane said...

I'm liking that hair do, Miss Miranda. You look gorgeous as always. Sam says you look pretty too.

Sarah said...

I actually prefer short hair and wonder why everyone thinks long hair is so great. Miranda is darling!

Kimberly said...

I love the word for pulling your hair out: trichotillomania. They say children usually outgrow it within a year. Some people actually eat the hair they pull out (trichophagia), which causes all sorts of problems, as you can imagine. Does she eat the hair?

I love the hairdo. I have never seen anything like it. It's like cornrows for white girls.

Contributors

Followers